Sunday, June 13, 2010

Free Multi Sensory Experience

The show today in SF at Cellspace was fantastic. It was totally free! It had an open bar that only served Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum! There was tons of free food, the catered stuff, that covered veggie, beef, chicken, pork, and many forms of egg salad and soup. There was a free documentary to watch called Hori Smoku Sailor Jerry - A film about the life and times of american tattoo master Norman K.Collins. Directed by Erich Weiss! The film was superb offering an introspective fresh look into a man who broke open a bottle of "I Can" all over the side of Tattoo culture and the beginning of a blooming new art form. This colorfully shrewed trouble maker changed the way people look at tattoos. There was a band!!! A band made up of Keith Morris (CIRCLE JERKS), Steve McDonald on bass (REDD KROSS), Dimitri Coats on guitar (the BURNING BRIDES) Mario Rubalcaba on drums (HOT SNAKES,​CLIKITAT IKATOWI,ROCKET FROM THE CRYPT, EARTHLESS) called OFF! Fuck yes!!! They were great! Punk, Smart, Energetic, and ended with Keith walking off stage while the band played a seriously groovy jam. I was so into it I jotted my number down and nervously explained that I was into it and would love to do their album art. I totally dug it. I saw Circle Jerks play at The Edge in Powell Alto when I was 15 with my cousin. Skinheads started spitting on the band and the band started spitting back. The Circle Jerks kept on playing and totally rocking. All of a sudden I wasn't just dancing in a pit, I was ducking punches and making my way to safety while Punks beat the crap out of some aryan nonsense. I have been drawn to this expressive sound ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment