Sunday, March 1, 2009

poem for leif garrett

i walk
run-down
across blue and white tiles
the sticky soap beneath my shoes
is actually piss.

there is one other on board
a middle aged black woman
short.
stout.
purple hair?
more of a maroon i guess...
she has a viscous gap between her two front teeth

"You look like a movie star!"
"What?"
"You look like that movie star! That one who surfs!"
"Leif Garrett?"
"Yeah! Yeah! You look like him! ARE you him?"
"No..."
"You look like him... how I know you ain't him?"
"Would Leif Garrett dry his clothes here?"
"I don't know where he be! AND ANYWAY sometimes
they be doin' things like that so peoples thinks they is normal peoples! You him."
"No."

i notice she is not here to wash
or dry
why is she here?
i turn to leave
she beats me to the door
"I be back to check up wit you Leif!"
"Sure."

i walk across the street
have a beer while my clothes dry

this madwoman has stolen my heart.
and maybe my clothes...

No comments:

Post a Comment